Walk In Your Calling

Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Israel has come to Me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptians oppress them. Come now, therefore, and I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring My people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt." But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?" So He said, "I will certainly be with you..." - Exodus 3:9-12a (NKJV)
THE PREMISE
Our Father has endowed each of us with gifts, talents, and abilities. Within you may lay a singer, a dancer, a writer, a director, a minister, or an entrepreneur. Whatever it is differs from person to person, but one thing is certain: something lies within you.
You may have no idea what it is. It may be lying dormant, waiting for you to realize it's there so you can begin to use it. Or you may know exactly what it is, but any numbers of things - finances, fear, doubt - are keeping you from walking in it.
My purpose today is to encourage you to walk in your calling. If you are His, rest assured: God has called you to do something. I pray that, if you lack wisdom regarding your call, you will ask God who gives generously to all. And I pray that, if you know what your divine appointment is, but have not the courage to pursue it for whatever reason, you will find the hope and fire to lay hold of the vision God has for you.
WHY GOD CALLS US
God is omnipotent. He doesn't need anybody. He is all things unto Himself. Yet He chooses to love us, save us, and use us. Praise God! Why He loves and saves us I'll never know. His unmerited mercy and grace are mysteries too deep for me to understand. Don't get me wrong: I understand how salvation works, and its purpose. I just don't know why he decided to bother with us. But I'm so glad He did! What I do know, is why He uses us.
1. For His glory When we begin using gifts and pursuing visions that are God-breathed, people look at us and wonder: "Is this the same shy person that wouldn't look anybody in the eye doing a praise dance in front of all these people?" or "That can't be the same woman who had no self-esteem mentoring young girls!" Your light shines before others, they see your good works, and glorify your Father in heaven.
2. For our good Romans 8:28 says "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." As you yield yourself and your gifts to Him, He begins to change you: healing you of past hurts, stripping you of old habits, and making you more mature in your walk of faith than you ever were before.
3. For the building up of the church Ephesians 4:12 tells us that we have our gifts "for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." Through the use of our gifts we encourage, uplift, teach, and help our brothers and sisters in Christ.
4. For the salvation of the lost Acts 2:37 says "When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, 'Brothers, what shall we do?'" They saw a manifestation of the Holy Spirit, witnessed the supernatural occurring, and heard Christ preached. It so overwhelmed them that nearly 3,000 were compelled to receive salvation that day!
SO WHY WON'T WE WALK IN IT?
If God's calling on our lives is so powerful, so life-changing, to ourselves and others, why are so many of us not walking in it? I believe that three of the main reasons are:
1. Fear or low self-esteem
Look at all of the excuses Moses made out of fear and low self-esteem:
- Exodus 3:11 - "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?"
- Exodus 4:1 - "But suppose they will not believe me or listen to my voice; suppose they say, 'The LORD has not appeared to you.'"
- Exodus 4:10 - "O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant; but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue."
- Exodus 4:13 - "O my Lord, please send by the hand of whomever else You may send." We often do the same thing. Fear of failure or low self-image will cripple us, not allowing us to see ourselves as God sees us: His children created in His image, and called according to His purpose.
2. Jealousy
In 1 Samuel 18 David had just returned from slaying Goliath. The women gathered in the streets singing "Saul has slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands." Verse 8 says "Then Saul was very angry, and the saying displeased him; and he said, 'They have ascribed to David ten thousands, and to me they have ascribed only thousands. Now what more can he have but the kingdom?' So Saul eyed David from that day forward." Saul was the king, set in place by God! Yet he coveted the praise given to another and felt threatened by him. Instead of resting in the favor God had shown him and concentrating in the call given him he became jealous and bitter towards David.
We are sometimes so busy wishing we had another's gift or ministry that we can't even see the special anointing God has placed on our own lives.
3. Unclean lives Psalm 66:18 tells us we can't pray right with sin in our hearts. 1 Corinthians 11:27-30 tells us we shouldn't take communion in an unworthy manner. 1 Timothy 3:1-13 is very specific about what sin issues in our daily lives disqualify us from holding church positions. Of all the reasons for not walking in our calling, this is perhaps the best intentioned. If we know our lives are not right with God and our walks are raggedy, we shouldn't feel comfortable trying to do the work of the kingdom.
PUT ON YOUR WALKIN' SHOES
These issues I just mentioned certainly exist, but they shouldn't be used as excuses for not being about our Father's business. Instead, they must be overcome.
If you suffer from a negative self-image you're certainly not alone. It affects everyone: male, female, young, and old. So how do you combat it? Get around some people who love you and want you to have what God has for you. People who will encourage you to walk in your gifting. Limit the amount of time you spend with discouraging and negative people who drain your spirit dry like leeches. And learn how to speak life to yourself!
- "You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made." (Psalm 139:13, 14a)
- "We am His workmanship." (Ephesians 2:10a)
- "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind." (1 Timothy 1:7)
If you're wrestling with jealousy or are frustrated watching someone else's ministry blossom, acknowledge that envy as sin, repent of it, and let the scriptures guide your attitude.
- "But let each one examine his own work, and then he will have rejoicing in himself alone, and not in another." (Galatians 6:4)
- "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Galatians 6:4)
Is sin in your life keeping you from moving forward in God's will? It's a good thing when we are honest with ourselves and God about sin issues. But we're not to use those issues as excuses not to do as God commands us. Instead we are to follow His instructions for dealing with them.
- "Therefore if you bring your gift to the altar, and there remember that your brother has something against you, 24 leave your gift there before the altar, and go your way. First be reconciled to your brother, and then come and offer your gift." (Matthew 5:23-24)
- "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness." (1 John 1:9)
It's time to walk in our calling, sisters. God has birthed something in each of you. You have a prophetic dance ministry in you right now. An anointed singing voice or ability to play an instrument that can draw someone into sincere worship. A Christian novel that could bring hope or godly counsel to other believers. An inspirational play or movie. A business where you could provide goods or services to those in need or mentoring others. He's put something in you.
You may not be able to do it all at once, but you can start with what you have available to you. You don't need to know or have everything right now to be effective or valid. God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called. Seek His face and ask Him for His timetable, His plan. Write the vision down. Meditate on it. Pray on it. Sanctify yourself for the work of the Lord.
Then put on your travelin' shoes and let's get to walkin'.
"For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them." (Ephesians 2:10)
PRAY WITH ME Lord, I thank You for loving and saving me, and I thank You for using someone such as me. Please forgive me for my hesitation, my fear, my apprehension. You nailed my faults, my weaknesses, and my excuses to the cross 2,000 years ago. Help me to step out on faith, and walk in the calling You have on my life, trusting that You who started this work in me are faithful to complete it until the day of Jesus Christ. In Jesus' name, Amen.
The Peace Treaty between Israel and Egypt, signed on March 26, 1979, constituted an historic milestone in the Arab-Israeli Conflict. ...